Old 30-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Kay Lancaster

Default Grass seed instead of fertilizer or weedkiller

On 29 Apr 2004 07:29:58 -0700, ted wrote:
I'm a gardening newbie and I hate lawn maintenance.

I was told that instead of spending $$ on fertilizer and/or
weedkillers, if we spread grass seed on the lawn regularly it will
take care of the health and thickness of the lawn. Also since there's
no place for the weeds to grow, they won't.

It's true that canopy closure (no bare soil for weeds) is wonderful
weed control. It's also true that overseeding will help an ailing
lawn... but it won't do much if you butcher the mowing and if the soil
is compacted, poor pH, nutrient-deficient and/or you overseed in such
a manner that the seed has no chance to grow. Or if you choose seed
that is unsuited for your growing conditions.

Read up on basic lawn ca my favorite book for beginners is
Rodale's Chemical-Free Yard and Garden, by Carr et al. Read it,
paying special attention to the first few chapters on soil and water.
Get a soil test; correct any soil problems; choose species of grasses
suitable for your condition (talk to your extension service for what
does well in your area). Choose low-maintenance grasses. Mow correctly.
Fertilize when needed. Much of good lawn care involves a lot of
planning, very little work, but consistent work.

Or ditch the lawn for something else that suits you better. But check
local laws, homeowner associations and similar pitfalls before you
make major plans.

Kay Lancaster