Old 30-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Edward Haworth

Default Snails -- good or bad in a koi pond?

Schisto is only going to be a problem in certain cliamtes and with
certian species of snail. Not something to worry about in the Uk for
eg. Also how do you stop snails getting into a pond? Any half way
sizeable pond will pick up the odd snail egg from water bird feet?

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:06:09 GMT, wrote:

detrimental to the koi. they are the definitive intermediate host for lots of
diseases. 2 years ago the Pond Lady began complaining of severe itching of arms and
legs after being out in her propagation ponds. it was "swimmers itch" caused by
schistosomiasis ... carried by snails. She nuked the snails, no more swimmers itch.
not to mention her plants werent being chewed up.
not to mention a single big dead snail cant foul the water and create such a stink
it is unbelievable. Ingrid

"Remydog" wrote:

There seems to be conflicting information. Many of you are writing of your
snails' exploits, while others (dr-solo) say that they are detrimental to a
koi pond. Which is it?

Remydog

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/