Old 30-04-2004, 03:02 AM
David Ross

Default Propogation [Long]

Zing wrote [in part]:

I'm going to try and propagate several perennials by the cutting method, but
was wondering if it's worth the effort and what techniques to use.
Everything I have coming up now was planted from 1 gallon nursery container
stock. I'm putting more nursery stock in, but want to stretch my dollars.

Expect only 1/3 to 1/2 of the cuttings to "take". But do it! Not
only is it cheaper than buying plants, but also you get a great
amount of satisfaction.

QUESTIONS:
I'm familiar w/ the basics, but was wondering what mediums are best -
standard soil, sterilized starter mix, perilite or just plain water. I want
to avoid damping off (fungus). Rooting hormone? Should I do it before the
buds flower, or during flowering? Will there be enough time to get them
established before the first frosts (late Oct.).

See my "My Potting Mix" at
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_potting_mix.html. Just use
the sand and peat moss, omitting ALL nutrients. If you can't get
equal amounts of sand and peat, err on the side of extra peat; it
inhibits rot. Make sure the mix is quite wet in the container
where you are putting the cuttings.

Usually, cuttings are best if the shoot contains no flower or
flower bud. However, I had good luck with polygonum cuttings that
were in full bloom. This varies by plant.

After you cut the shoot, hold the cut end in a bucket of water or
in the sink and cut away another inch, cutting under water. Hold
the shoot in the water for about another 30 seconds. Then, use a
very sharp non-serrated knife to cut again, just below a leaf
joint. Remove any leaves at the joint and at the joint above it.
I use a powdered rooting hormone. Dip the wet stem in the powder
up to the second leaf joint; then shake it to remove excess
powder. Make a hole in the potting mix; I use the knife from the
last cut. Carefully insert the cutting without rubbing the hormone
powder away. Press the soil firmly around the cutting.

I take a clear liter soda bottle and cut off the top and pry off
the hard plastic bottom. Upside-down, this makes an excellent
miniature greenhouse over the cutting. Place the pot in a location
where it will receive good indirect light but no direct sun.

Some cuttings might take two weeks. Others might take two months.
Be patient. When roots have formed, repot into a larger
container. Use the same potting mix, but this time include the
nutrients. Leave the repotted rooted plants in the same no-sun
location for about a week. You can then plant them into the
ground, but you still might have to provide partial shade until
they are sufficiently established.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/