Old 30-04-2004, 10:09 AM
D Russell

Default Growing spuds in tyres

"Vicky" wrote in message
Has anyone tried the Bob Flowerdew method of growing potatoes in stacks of
tyres, adding a new tyre for each earthing-up of the plant?

How many tyres are the optimum height. I seem to remember Bob using tyres
that had been turned inside out in an attempt to make the thing look a

tiny
bit more attractive!

Vicky

Hiya, have done so but never went over three tyres, too much soil required
!. I think the main reason Bob turned the tyres inside out is to make more
room inside them. To do that though you do have to cut the tyres internal
edges off first, otherwise they are impossible to turn inside out. Also he
used this method to create interlocking tyre stacks which can then hold a
binbag and act as a waterbutt.

The biggest dilemma for me was what to use to fill the inside parts of the
"un-turned-insideout!", tyres I used, I think it's either best to use
crumpled up paper or straw. Didn't produce the largest crop ever but was
very good for the new pot's. I think the tyres warm the soil up and that
helps.

Duncan