Old 30-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Ray

Default PH meter question!

I don't see why pH is connected only to folks growing in semi-hydroponic culture - it should be of
interest to all growers who use fertilizers and pure water, and wouldn't hurt tapwaterers either.

Anyway, I have a Hanna TDS meter, and it's a well-made device that is very repeatable. Based upon
my experience with that, I would thing that the Checker would be a pretty good choice.

When I was shopping for a pH meter, I checked with fellow orchid grower John Talpa, who is a water
professional, and certified as such. He makes his living via home and commercial water treatment.
According to him, and he also checked with his instrument wholesaler about their biggest sellers,
the most popular among pros was the Oakton pH Testr 2. It even came with some buffer solution
standards (pH 4, 7, & 10), but I bought more of the 7's, as that's closest to the range we're
interested to. No matter what you buy, spring for the disposable packs, as they are stable until
opened, and are perfect for calibrations with no other container needed.

What I really like about it is that calibration is really easy: put the device in the buffer
solution, press the calibration button, wait for the meter to display a number near that of the
buffer - it blinks quickly when it thinks it's done), press another button to lock it in, and
voila', it displays the exact pH and you're done.

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"PhalGuy" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello everyone!

For those who grow in S/H and use a PH meter, what are your input about the
Hanna Checker PH meter!

Can be used for ponds, soil, hydroponics, swimming pools, spas, aquariums,
etc.

Features:

a.. Large Readout Display
b.. 0.01 pH resolution
c.. Fast and accurate calibration
d.. Battery Life: 3000 hours of continuous use
e.. Wide Range: 0.00-14.00 pH
f.. Replaceable pH Electrode
SPECIFICATIONS:

a.. RANGE: 0.00-14.00 pH
b.. RESOLUTION: 0.01 pH
c.. TYPICAL EMC DEVIATION: ± 0.1 pH
d.. CALIBRATION: Manual 2-point using Trimmers
e.. ELECTRODE: HI1270 (included)
f.. BATTERY: TYPE/LIFE: 2 x 1.4V / 3000 hours typical
Thanks

--
Claude

www.picturetrail.com/phalguy