Old 30-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Jersey Royal seed potatoes

"George Bray" wrote in message then ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
The correct name of "Jersey Royals" is "International Kidney", they only
become "Jersey Royals" when grown on Jersey.
You will find "International Kidney" seed potatoes easy to come by so

why
bother to try to save bought ones for a year?
What you need to get them to taste right is lots of compost made with
seaweed, without it they will just taste like any other new potato.

Thank you for this info, which I was aware of, but hadn't found
anywhere that sold International Kidney seed potatoes, hence my
decision to buy ordinary spuds from shops. Following your comment,
I'll have another look.

Try mail order then....

http://potatoes.thompson-morgan.com/...st/full-list/3

http://www.suttons-seeds.co.uk/index...10&d=300&e= 0
(watch the wrap)

I'm sure there are lots more.

Our reasonably local GC (Heathrow GC at West Drayton) sells a good variety
of spuds and seems to be able to get in whatever you want. Try asking your
local one especially if it's an independent like ours is.
The RHS at Wisley also have them every year which is where I normally buy
mine.

Some people have reported good flavour by watering using seaweed extract,
something I intend to try this year (having purchased 5lts from N A Kays)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars