Old 30-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Toni

Default Newbie needs some help!

"aquadd" wrote in message
m...

Unfortunately every article I find on it just seems so
complicated--people have systems to automatically turn on once a week,
etc.--I don't want something totally automated (I'll be there to turn
the pump on and off), just something that's a little less work! Can
you point me to any articles that show how to build (or where to buy)
a simple system that even the mechanically challenged can put
together?

I just siphon out the old water- I don't use a pump for that as gravity is
easier.
My new water has been sitting in an aereated garbage can overnight so I just
throw in an Eheim hobby pump with a bit of hose attached to pump it into the
tank. These pumps are great- I use it all the time for all sorts of water
moving tasks. And a new garbage can is practically a must- I have one for
each large aquarium I keep. When not in use they nest in a closet.

Also, if a piece of glass covers the top of the aquarium, and the
lights are placed on top of the glass, how do you lift the glass +
lights to feed the fish?

The "store bought" glass covers have a hinged piece at the front of the tank
for access. If you are making one you'll have to rig a hinge.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/discus.htm