Old 30-04-2004, 04:08 PM
jane

Default Enviromesh - carrot root fly - advice please!

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:21:55 +0100, Chris ] wrote:

~Enviromesh - carrot root fly - advice please!
~
~Does it work?

I'll let you know in a few months I hope so...

~Better than fleece?

If you don't want to replace each year and hate how muddy fleece gets
and you want to attach to a frame, probably. You can water through it
and keep it suspended over the crop so it's probably better for the
seedlings. Fleece tears. However, fleece definitely keeps out the
flies and some frost, but goes soggy and muddy. Tried it, crop failed
badly (2002) so not doing that again!

~Where can you buy garden-sized sheets of it?

see http://www.agralan.co.uk/insect.pest.html
This is the garden/home users side of their site. There is a bit for
industrial users if you really want a big sheet :-) otherwise you're
stuck at 3 x 1.75m and £16+

~How do you set it up?

Either throw over the ground or pin to a frame. The piccies in
http://www.moonbells.freeserve.co.uk.../april_04.html
shows mine, and you can laugh at my lottie diary while you're at it...
Mind you, someone is. My new hit counter's gone mad recently.

~Any disadvantages?

You can't cut a sheet to size - it's woven mesh and if you cut it, it
unravels like coarse material only worse - it doesn't hem and is
plastic so just keeps unravelling...
Also it's fairly expensive. If I hadn't tried umpteen other solutions
I wouldn't have bought it. Now I've got the frame done, I'm pleased
with it.

Mind you, if we get leek moths soon (probable, given my location) I'll
probably end up with the whole lottie covered in the stuff.

~Anything better?
I've heard old net curtains are good... if you have any big enough.
Try jumble sales!

Good luck...
--
jane