Old 30-04-2004, 04:08 PM
Tumbleweed

Default Tadpoles all died at once

"anne" wrote in message
I know a lot of you have garden ponds, so wondered if you could answer

this
question. Yesterday I discovered approximately 80% of the tadpoles in my
pond had died - they were all floating just under the surface. It was
strange they had all died at once I thought. The pond is new and has few
plants in it, but is reasonably clear. It has lots of those tiny floating
green leaves on the surface and one bunch of goldfish weed dropped in. It
was definitely over populated with the tads and I think there would have
been a lack of food. We have had very heavy downpours over the last few
days, could this have contributed - hammering down on the surface? As far

as
I know, there is no chance the pond could have had chemicals washed into

it
from the land.

Thanks.

Did you fertilise the lawn with some sort of weed & feed recently (as a
source of chemicals?). I agree it seems strange they all died at once, but
at this stage I suppose they will still be vegetarian so eating each other
wouldnt be an option if there was no natural food, so if its a brand new
pond with no algae and no other natural food, they might have starved to
death. And as they all were 'born' at the same time I suppose they might all
die at the same time as well.
--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address