Old 30-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Tim Rowles

Default Source for berry bushes?

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:30:32 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Rowles wrote:

I've had good luck with Heritage raspberries so far.

How's the flavor of that variety?

We like them. Smaller, tangier, and not as soft as the ones
I've had from the grocery. This may be because we're
impatient and eat 'em as soon as they're ripe, or just
because they're not shipped cross-country and held in a
cooler.

I've heard that they can be disease
prone due to the heat and humidity. Have you had any problems?

Zero diseases (knock on wood . The main threat is
Japanese beetles who LOVE raspberry leaves but frankly
it doesn't seem to slow the raspberries down that much.

As for the heat, we might be a degree cooler up in Orange
County compared to Raleigh/Cary, but I don't think it's
enough to make a real difference.

From talking with other folks I think I lucked out by
choosing this specific variety. Got 'em from Buchanan's,
planted them in a raised bed with a fair amount of cow
manure, stood back and waited. Pretty low effort. Wish
all my garden projects went as well...

HTH

-- Tim
trowles at rtmx dot net