Old 01-05-2004, 02:08 AM
Peter Ashby

Default Where *does* basil come from?

Lazarus Cooke wrote:

Someone pointed out recently that Basil isn't Mediterranean in origin,
but tropical. This explains a lot - especially about why it's pretty
hard to grow outdoors here.

I used to grow it outside in Southern New Zealand as an annual in the
summer. Nothing special, in crappy soil in the herb garden next to the
oreganum and in front of the thyme. Nothing tropical needed, if I'd
tried to do the same in sub tropical Auckland it would have been eaten
by half a dozen species of invertebrates in only a few hours.

Peter