Old 01-05-2004, 04:21 AM
Matt Barton

Default New house, monster leylandii

Hello,

Appologies if this is an all too familiar query, but I couldn't find an FAQ
for the group...

I moved into a new house just before christmas, and at the bottom of the
garden is a 30ft leylandii. I've no problem with the tree itself (I quite
like it actually - it's a nice counter-point to a *massive* leylandii hedge
which shelters my house from a railway line), but it's so big that I'm
worried that if I don't deal with it now, it'll be too big for me to manage
in 6 - 12 months (and I'd hate to have to pay someone to do it if I can do
it now myself).

I want to cut it to about half of its current height, and then maintain it
at that height - my questions a is it likely to survive, is there a
better course of action, is there a particular reason why doing so is a bad
idea?

Thanks in advance,

Matt