Old 01-05-2004, 04:22 AM
Mike Lyle

Default small pice of land required

(dave manchester) wrote in message . com...
i am looking for a piece of land minimum size 1 acre with some form of
building on it (condition of no concearn) we are a young family hoping
to become eventually self sufficiant maybe a few animals, im sure you
know the kind of thing! the property must however pe pre piped for
water and electricity will pay in the region of 20k for the right
piece in any part of the UK.

any help and advice would be greatfully received

Except as a very rewarding hobby, I wouldn't even think about it with
one acre, even if I also had a job well-enough paid to buy in winter
feed for the animal (no goats, please). Minimum five acres for a cow
and a calf and a few sheep (not goats, definitely not goats, certainly
and absolutely not goats), in my experience, and you'll still need a
full-time outside job. Hard work, but a very nice way of life, as long
as you haven't got a goat.

I haven't met him, but I'm told Chas Griffin is a very nice bloke: his
entertaining and instructive book, *Scenes from a smallholding*, is
£11.95, and his email address is

(I've found that goats are a bit chewy. And before that, they chew
things.)

Griffin's snailmail: Third Leaf Books, Saron, Llandysul, SA44 5HB

John Seymour's *Self-Sufficency* is also very readable, informative,
and pulls no punches about the economics, though he doesn't dwell on
that side of it: you can't, just can't, do it with a mortgage. I did
use to know him, and he's a very nice bloke, too (hope he's still
alive!).

If I were you, I wouldn't keep any goats, by the way.

Mike.

P.S. Perhaps I should warn you against keeping goats. Groats are OK,
though. Stoats, sure. I'd hate to be without my throat or my coat, and
boats are nice. Thoats, by all means, if you can get them. A moat is
usually a waste of space under modern conditions, though; but a goat
is worse.