Old 01-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Janice

Default Raised bed material what do you use?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:46:16 -0600, "tmtresh"
wrote:

"Janice" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:02:09 -0400, "JRYezierski"

usually shelters slugs. I have little bitty gray ones,
and I have the big brown speckled ones.. they can get 8 - 12 inches
long.

You have slugs a foot long?? In Boise?? Sorry if I sound incredulous, but
I've never seen a slug over an inch long, even when my dad put in a new
sprinkler system and watered almost constantly, and before that, I'd never
seen a slug in Idaho.

Sorry I'm slow to answer, haven't managed to get to the groups this
past week. Yup they're the brown speckled ones, they usually aren't
stretched out that far, but some of them over the years have been that
big. I've had them come in on the bottoms of the trash cans .. as
they crawled up under there to hide.. I had a box turtle years ago who
was clawing at the garbage can and couldn't understand why, until I
tipped it up and saw the slug.. turtle didn't care once he saw it.

I went out another time after dark and there were two slugs "chasing"
one another around on the side of the house.. some sort of 'courtship"
I imagine, they weren't a foot long.. but it's not unusual to see them
6" and over. Just the occasional one now and then is in that foot
range.. and I guess when they're lounging.

There are lots of the little gray slugs here too, they would climb to
the top of a 5' tall dahlia just to eat holes in the petals and down
by dawn. That's why I'd like to find some kids that catch tadpoles
and get them to catch lots of them that had just gotten all 4 of their
legs and starting to hop out of the water and turn them loose in my
yard. A bunch of fence swifts and some 5 line skinks to live on my
shed and garden to eat the bugs. Alas I know no such children and all
the places I used to catch them are more than likely some housing
development now.

*sigh*

Janice