Old 01-05-2004, 10:08 AM
gary davis

Default Tadpoles all died at once

On 4/30/04 6:49 AM, in article , "anne"
wrote:

I know a lot of you have garden ponds, so wondered if you could answer this
question. Yesterday I discovered approximately 80% of the tadpoles in my
pond had died - they were all floating just under the surface. It was
strange they had all died at once I thought. The pond is new and has few
plants in it, but is reasonably clear. It has lots of those tiny floating
green leaves on the surface and one bunch of goldfish weed dropped in. It
was definitely over populated with the tads and I think there would have
been a lack of food. We have had very heavy downpours over the last few
days, could this have contributed - hammering down on the surface? As far as
I know, there is no chance the pond could have had chemicals washed into it
from the land.

Thanks.

I can't say I know much about this problem if only to tell a story.
I one day noticed a lady walking beside a ditch at the Albion Ferry in
Fort Langley, BC. I was waiting for the ferry and it was a long wait.
I like company so approached her and after exchanging pleasantries I
asked her "What are you doing?" "Well, she said "the tadpoles are still
living. And that is a good thing" I was interested and asked her "Why is
that a good thing?" "Well" she said "the tadpoles are the..." and now I
can't remember for sure what her words were but I think she meant all is
well in the environment because if something is wrong the tadpoles die.
'My' tadpoles were living in stagnant water...oxygen wasn't a problem
for them. Why 'your tadpoles' died is a mystery to me. Tell me that it was a
lack of oxygen!
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada