Old 01-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Sacha

Default Jersey Royal seed potatoes

martin1/5/04 7:58
On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:42:44 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

In Brittany AFAIR and according to your web site they harvest kelp.
It's kelp which is usually washed up in large piles after a storm in
most places.

Have you any idea why they don't harvest kelp in Jersey or do they?

Look at the website. ;-) I think they harvest everything that's going but
the most prolific in winter storms is the bladder wrack.

I remember watching a BBC archeology program about Scotland where they
showed ancient pits where seaweed was burnt before being used on the
land. Is this what they do in the C.I.?

No, they just spread it on 'neat'. It rots down through the winter.

I had a scout camp holiday in Jersey in 1953, it rained very hard and
we ended sleeping on the floor of a church hall in St Martin near
Rozel. I've been back several times to the Channel Isles, mainly
Alderney, but by boat. Boats tend to be drier than tents when it rains
:-)

If you sail round Alderney good luck to you! And I used to live in St
Martin's, not far from Rozel. I know the Public Hall very well indeed!

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)