Old 01-05-2004, 12:02 PM
madgardener

Default Japanese snowball plant

"limey" wrote in message

For sentimental reasons, I would like to replace a Japanese snowball plant
that we transplanted here after my mother-in-law died. It died during an
incredibly wet spring and summer a couple of years ago.

Nurseries are drawing a blank. I suppose it's an old-fashioned plant, but
is there another common name for the plant/bush? It blooms all summer,
with white "snowballs" similar to a hydrangea. It is not viburnum.

I would appreciate any help on this. Many thanks.

Dora

--

limey at toad dot net

I have to agree with everyone that's responded to you Dora. What you had was
a viburnum. The "snowball bush" as it is commonly called blooms about now,
in mid-spring. Sometimes it will bloom again if the temperatures are cooler
than normal, but those blossoms will be sporatic and not nearly as heavy and
spectacular as the first bloom. (a lot of reblooming bushes have heavy
blooms the first flush, like Kerria Japonica, and then less blossoms on the
later blossoming). Victoria and Pam hit the identity right on the head. If
that nursery doesn't have that particular variety, try another nursery. Even
Lowes has these Viburnums as this is the more commonly offered type along
with some other ones now since gardening is more popular now.

At my Lowes I've noticed the spirea's they offer from their nursieries they
get their stock from are several different smaller ones, like Neon, Lemon,
Crispa, and the more common one that I see in every older yard around the
whole area, the one the old ladies call "Bridal wreath" and "Buttons", which
used to be the only kind you saw available decades ago. Those two are what
I see predominantly in almost every yard and quite mature and blooming right
now. The viburnum's availability will be good because it's a commonly
offered variety. Good luck, you'll find a replacement. I'm sure of it.
madgardener