Old 01-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Janice

Default Councils and allotments

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:41:02 +0100, Jan
wrote:

In message , Frogleg
writes
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:04:50 +0100, Jan
wrote:

Barnet council (cons), whom I deplore for many reasons, have just
announced an unbelievable increase in rent for all our allotments with
double rent for non-residents.

snip

You should post this in uk.rec.gardening. USAsians don't have
allotments, more's the pity.

I did and got no replies. Didn't realise this NG was just for the USA.
Apologies.

This news group is not just for the USA.. just some of us are a tad
ethnocentric ;-) Folks in here from UK, Australia, NZ that I've seen
and I'm sure there are and have been folks from other places. I know
I've seen someone in one of the groups from Finland, can't remember if
it's rec.gardens or rec.gardens.edible.. but .. it's for EVERYONE :-D

As to community gardens. ..in my area, Boise Idaho, ours have usually
been vacant land that has no immediate plans for sale or development
that have been persuaded to allow people to grow gardens on, as it
would keep the weeds down, and in some cases maybe give them a tax
break. Others may be land owned by the city but again, not ready for
development that year or maybe for several years, so it allows gardens
there. I don't think we have any permanent community garden areas.

People who want to garden may apply for a plot, and in many cases
there is no fee, it's just first come first served. In other areas
there may be a small fee for water use etc. It varies with the
circumstances, as I'm sure it varies in each place around the country.
As the areas become more urban I'm sure that the availability would
decrease and cost probably go up. But that's just a guess on my part!

I hope you find your answers!

Janice