Old 01-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Graham Broadbridge

Default Diatom Filter or H.O.T. Magnum

"Squid" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:58:50 +1000, "Graham Broadbridge"
wrote:
How many folks out there buy expensive tubes of pHup when Baking soda

does
the same job better :-)

I've read a few things about this in the archives. Do you mind
ellaborating on the process a bit. Like how much per gallon?

A little bit goes a long way. From memory 1 teaspoon of baking soda
(sodium bicarbonate) raises the kH of my 55 gal by about 2 german degrees (~
36 ppm).

I use quite a lot as the water here out of the tap is 0 dkH and I run CO2
injection and need to keep around 8 dkH, so for each 25 percent water change
I add a teaspoon or so, and then measure and adjust as necessary.

Graham.