Old 01-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default Potted perennial problems

On 5/1/04 2:44 AM, in article
, "Mark Anderson"
wrote:

In article
says...
Frankly, it might just be too soon still.
BUT - where did these over winter? Buried in mulch? In the garage?

They were outside in their pots. I could bring them inside if that would
help but I can't provide light for all the plants. I overwintered a
Rosemary bush inside but used fluorescents to keep it alive and it grew
all winter. I'm expecting it to get huge by this fall when it's time to
bring it in again.

Just hold off. For future reference - bury the pots in a holding bed or
under a pile of leaves!

Bronze fennel is late to break dormancy for me.

I think mine is just regular fennel. This was in a 20" planter and its
roots have taken over the entire planter in just one summer. There was
significant freezing however since my garden is on a roof. We had a
strange winter that caused 6" of ice to buildup and remain intact all
winter. Therefore, the bottom 6" of that fennel pot was in ice for about
3 months. See
http://www.brandylion.com/images/winter_garden1.jpg

Let me know if you are desperate for lemon balm - I have plenty!

Sure, if you're on the north side of Chicago. I usually shop at Farmer's
Market on north Elston street. They sell a wide variety of herbs for
only $1.49 in the 4" pots. Once that lemon balm got started last year
it grew like a mint plant.

That's cheaper than I can mail it to you!
Cheryl