Old 01-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Inge Jones

Default Tadpoles all died at once

In article ,
says...
I know a lot of you have garden ponds, so wondered if you could answer this
question. Yesterday I discovered approximately 80% of the tadpoles in my
pond had died - they were all floating just under the surface. It was
strange they had all died at once I thought. The pond is new and has few
plants in it, but is reasonably clear. It has lots of those tiny floating
green leaves on the surface and one bunch of goldfish weed dropped in. It
was definitely over populated with the tads and I think there would have
been a lack of food. We have had very heavy downpours over the last few
days, could this have contributed - hammering down on the surface? As far as
I know, there is no chance the pond could have had chemicals washed into it
from the land.

Thanks.

Fish often die in a garden pond in a thundestorm, so maybe the same
applies to tadpoles. If 80% are dead and 20% are not only alive but
perfectly well and happy, then you can't really blame oxygen, food, or
poisons. It had to be something sudden. Or maybe it's a genetic defect
that didn't do anything until the say they tried to grow a leg bud or
something. If you can stretch to saying it was 75% instead of 80% then
that could tie in with various genetic statistics.