Old 01-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default New house, monster leylandii

The message
from "Glen Able" contains these words:

Once you cut into old wood on leylandii they don't sprout back and look

very
ragged. We advised a neighbour of ours not to do this, she thought she

knew
better and she's now left with trunks sticking out of the top of lower
growing foliage looking simply awful.

Yes, down my street there's a 12' leylandii hedge on the boundary between 2
front gardens. On the owner's side they've maintained it well and it looks
quite handsome. The other side has been cut back almost to the trunk and is
a horrible wall of brown with not even a hint of green showing.

I have a leylandii hedge which has been truncated at some time, and the
lower branches have grown up so the cut tops of the trunks are two feet
below the top of the hedge now.

It is not unsightly.

If you want to jolly-up a conifer, grow wisteria up the trunk. When it
becomes established it makes a really spectacular tree on flowering.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/