Old 01-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Sacha

Default Tadpoles all died at once

anne1/5/04 1:51
snipThe green floating leaves were taken from an old
leaky water tank and are multiplying like crazy. I was hoping this was
helping create oxygen and a better balance, but what do I know. I think the
frogs are a bit dumb around here as they spawned in the tank aswell - the
froglets won't have much chance of getting out. I've put a plank of wood in
there but the gradient looks too steep. Anyway, as for the pond, I've
scooped out a lot of the bodies and will be adding some more plants this
weekend. There's still a few tads swimming around ok.

My chemistry/biology is nil but wouldn't the leaves be causing an imbalance
in the oxygenation of the pond? If it's any help to you, we have a little
island built out from one corner of our pond in which boggy plants grow. At
spawning time, it's always got some water in the lower corner of it and
toads spawn there very happily.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)