Old 01-05-2004, 04:02 PM
FarmerDill

Default Sweet potato question

Hi,

This is my first year of growing sweet potatoes. I keep reading to grow
them like potatoes. Now, do I hill soil up and around the vine like potatoe
plants?
I have never seen them grown and sounds like they are to spread like winter
squash vines! Cannot find the answer to this. Just not picturing it in my
mind. Thanks!

.. A sweet potato does not grow like an Irish potato. It grows like a morning
glory.
One plants the slips, (small potato vines) after the weather warms up (after
the last possible frost date). If you have anything but sandy soil, pull up a
raised (2 -4 inches above ground level) list or hill. Plants the slips 12-16
inches apart. Bury most of the plant just like a tomato plant. As the plant
grows, broaden and deepen the hill or lists. The "bush" types will send out 3-5
foot runners and the true vines types will go 12 ft or more so allow plenty of
room. Sweet potatoes are tender perenials so they keep growing until killed by
frost. They must be dug before frost kills the vines. Just lift the entire hill
with a spading fork,

Good luck.