Old 01-05-2004, 07:09 PM
martin

Default Delurk with chocolates and a question

On Sat, 01 May 2004 18:08:15 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

martin1/5/04 5:40
On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:28:52 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Agreed, though perhaps the poster means DUCKWs, which have wheels, not legs?

DUKWs? I found the origin of the name on the web.

DUKW is right. From a website:
http://wwwa.search.eb.com/normandy/articles/DUKW.html

The DUKW (an acronym based on D-model year 1942, U-amphibian, K-all wheel
drive, W-dual rear axles), called "duck," was shaped like a boat. It had a
hollow airtight body for buoyancy and used a single propeller for forward
momentum. It was designed according to Army criteria and was based on the
Army's 2.5-ton truck.

A couple still run in Jersey between the 'main island' and Elizabeth Castle
which is cut off at high tide.

For decades! :-)

There's a European Amphibious Club which take them all over Europe to
rallies. They were in NL two years ago and on the Thames last summer.
They are really very impressive close up. We met them motoring down a
canal towards us in Workum.

Pictures of them on the Thames at
http://www.omfc.co.uk/Amphib%202003.htm