Old 01-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Councils and allotments

writes:
In message , Frogleg
writes
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:04:50 +0100, Jan
wrote:

Barnet council (cons), whom I deplore for many reasons, have just
announced an unbelievable increase in rent for all our allotments with
double rent for non-residents.

snip

You should post this in uk.rec.gardening. USAsians don't have
allotments, more's the pity.

I did and got no replies. Didn't realise this NG was just for the USA.
Apologies.
--
Jan - N. London

It isn't, and I'm fairly certain that wasn't what was meant. I took it as
a suggestion to post that specific item where you might get meaningful
practices, and problems, all over the world, especially in countries in
which we might have something in common. Given the diversity of the
U.S.A., that would be everywhere. :-)

When I read your post, I felt badly for you that you must pay for a garden
plot. We don't have much along that line in our particular community, but
when we do have community gardens available (in publicly owned space), we
simply apply for them. Basically, first come, first serve with last
year's gardeners getting first spaces available. They are relatively
small in size, but the City provides the tilling and the water. Neglected
spaces are not re-issued to the same people the following year. From
reading other posts in response to yours, it appears we are among the more
fortunate.

The disadvantage of ours is that when the City (or other agency) decides
to do something else with the land, the gardeners are out of luck. The
only good part of that is that it isn't done in the middle of the season.

Glenna