Old 02-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Cumberpach

Default Advice for an idiot abstractionist

"MissJuggs" wrote in message
I bought some trellis today to put on a wooden fence

snip
You will need a gap say, of half an inch between trellis and fence. To
achieve this, you will need to screw 2 vertical battens (strips of wood) to
the fence and then screw the trellis to the battens. If you trellis opens up
to 4 foot wide by 5 foot high, your battens would each measure half inch by
one inch by 5 foot.

I think the wood on the fence is quite hard: I can put panel pins in,
or put screws in. Should I drill holes for the screws first?

Use screws, 3 per batten and drill first. If you're unsure as to what size
drill to use, then test drill and screw in some scrap wood.

Secondly, snip

This has to be connected to brick.

Similar method as per wooden fence, but to fix the batten to the brickwork,
you will need a hammer-drill and some 'rawlplugs' to fix the screws into the
brick. I would suggest you tackle the wooden fence yourself, but you will
need to get help with the brick project - it's quite tricky and you could do
a lot of damage.

Pete