Old 02-05-2004, 01:05 AM
limey

Default Japanese snowball plant

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"limey" wrote in message

For sentimental reasons, I would like to replace a Japanese snowball

plant
that we transplanted here after my mother-in-law died. It died during

an
incredibly wet spring and summer a couple of years ago.

Nurseries are drawing a blank. I suppose it's an old-fashioned plant,

but
is there another common name for the plant/bush? It blooms all summer,
with white "snowballs" similar to a hydrangea. It is not viburnum.

I would appreciate any help on this. Many thanks.

Japanese snowball is the common name typically applied to Viburnum

plicatum.
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/vipl4.htm
Common snowball bush is Viburnum opulus 'Roseum' and there is also a

Chinese
snowball that is another species of viburnum. I have never heard of

anything
other than viburnums or sometimes, infrequently, hydrangeas referred to as
"snowball bushes" and neither will offer blooms continually all summer.
Nothing else comes to mind that offers the same rounded, dense white

flowers
or that blooms all summer.

pam - gardengal

Many thanks to those who responded to my original plea. I have bowed to
your opinions and references and today bought a viburnum plicatum from a
nearby nursery. The saleslady assured me its common name is "Japanese
Snowball", which blooms in May. So there's the mystery still, since the
one which died bloomed all summer. Strange. Thanks, everyone!

Dora