Old 02-05-2004, 04:09 AM
Fito

Default BIG insects in my compost

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
Is it normal for large insects (grubs???) to infest a healthy(???)
compost pile? Mine is about 4' square, only a foot deep at the moment
though. I've some fruit and vegetable scraps in it, lots of grass
clippings, some steer manure (treated stuff), sand and dirt, egg shells,
coffee grounds etc. I dumped in a pile of potato skins tonight and when
I turned it found a bunch of what appear to be grubs, but a WHOLE LOT
BIGGER than what I've ever seen in the past. I had small ones maybe 1"
long and a ¼" thick at most in my lawn years ago. Whats in the compost
pile looks to be the same color with a transparent white body, but the
head is not dark black, and they're curled the same but were over ½"
thick and probably 2"+ long if uncurled. Some really healthy suckers.
Oh, and ugly too! My 3 year old grandaughter thought they were "Cool
Grampa, lets find more!"

Yes. Very normal.

Fito