Old 02-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Gwen Morse

Default "Bulbs" all season?

On Sat, 01 May 2004 23:14:10 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

I don't recall you saying where you lived. I'm in zone 6 where the average

I live on Long Island in New York.

winter low is -10. My neighbor has beautiful calla lilies and she leaved
them in the ground all year long. Some people around here leave their
cannas in the ground. If you find a sheltered microclimate in your garden
you can sometimes push your zone. Glads are winter hearty here and I have
had dahlias come back year after year without lifting them. There are some
"bulbs" that simply won't tolerate the cold. One example is the caladiums
and their relatives the alocasias and colocasias (elephant ears). I have
never heard of anyone lifting irises. Tall bearded iris, Dutch Iris, and

Tall Bearded irises are the ones I bought. I don't know the variety,
but, they're purple flowers with sort of whitish interiors and yellow
beards. Just about as "sterotypical" an iris as you can find . They
grow up around my mailbox (which seems the perfect place to put irises
as theyr'e tall and the mailbox poles are tall).

Gwen