Old 02-05-2004, 05:06 AM
Steve

Default Ramps

Janice wrote:
I found a company that sells them .. foraged from the wild .. for food
..but if they still have their roots intact you could plant them.
They're $9.50 a pound. I'd contact them to see if they are whole,
roots intact before I ordered them.. but the link to the page is:

http://earthy.com/a_wild_leeks.htm

This is copied from that web site:

"Handling Fresh Ramps / Wild Leeks

A papery wrapper leaf (and some dirt) may surround the bulb and
should be pulled off as you would with scallions. There may also be
some roots which should be trimmed off along with their little
button attachment. Once trimmed and cleaned the entire plant is
tender and choice for eating. "

It looks like they could be planted out with a good chance that most
of them would grow.
I have a little clump in my yard. A friend of mine dug some from the
woods and gave me some. I ate most of them but planted some in 3
locations in my yard. They liked one location. I should get out
there and find some in the wild. They ARE really good.

Steve