Old 02-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Larry Stoter

Default Heron visit to pond

Diane Epps wrote:

"Gill Hall" wrote in message
A heron visited our pond last week and ate half the fish. The rest hid and

are
still looking very nervous. I had just removed the netting that protected

the
pond from falling leaves all winter. I would much prefer not to have to

net the
pond all year round. Does anyone know of other, less unsightly but still
effective deterrents against herons?

Many thanks

Gill Hall

I believe that you can run a piece of fishing line around the pond at about
4-6 inches off the ground. I am led to believe that the herons like to wade
into the water and this stops them. I have never tried this, as we have a
heronry close by when I built my pond I made it formal with steep sides a
metre deep and have never had a problem. The herons come and look but can't
get at the fish.
Diane

I was speaking to a pond-owner recently and he confirmed that this
method appears to work effectively.
--
Larry Stoter