Old 02-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Heron visit to pond

"dave wrote in message after
Gill Hall
writes
A heron visited our pond last week and ate half the fish. The rest hid

and are
still looking very nervous. I had just removed the netting that protected

the
pond from falling leaves all winter. I would much prefer not to have to

net the
pond all year round. Does anyone know of other, less unsightly but still
effective deterrents against herons?

A lot of pond retail companies sell plastic herons - based on the theory
that herons are territorial, or for a more expensive alternative there's
a device which shoots water. Examples are at http://tinyurl.com/399ze

They do work provided they are moved each day, the real Herons aren't
stupid.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars