Old 02-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Frogleg

Default rooting some vines?

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 17:06:33 -0300, wrote:

Can vines like vinca, purple wintercreeper, ajuga, and English ivy be
rooted? If so, how? Can I just place cut-off stems in the soil?

My neighbor has some growing that need pruning, and I have an open shady
spot that could use cover.

You can't keep Vinca from rooting any where, any how. I once stuck a
1' stem in a pile of builder's sand in full sun in the summer, and it
had roots in a week. No experience with Wintercreeper. Ajuga a
mint-related groundcover, not a vine. You can dig up a few plants
which, if they like their new spot, will gradually multiply and
spread. Ajuga is blooming right now around here and quite attractive.
The way English ivy spreads, it *seems* as if it ought to take root
easily, but some people have trouble. As suggested by other posters,
replanting an already rooted section is probably the way to go.
Although it couldn't hurt to put a few stems in water to see if the
roots grow.