Old 02-05-2004, 04:07 PM
limey

Default Japanese snowball plant

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"limey" wrote:

Many thanks to those who responded to my original plea. I have bowed to
your opinions and references and today bought a viburnum plicatum from a
nearby nursery. The saleslady assured me its common name is "Japanese
Snowball", which blooms in May. So there's the mystery still, since the
one which died bloomed all summer. Strange. Thanks, everyone!

Worst case-- you've got a new plant that you'll like. Meanwhile--
back to the mystery. . . . .

Do the pictures of viburnum plicatum match your memory?

http://ispb.univ-lyon1.fr/cours/bota...20plicatum.jpg
same url -- [ http://tinyurl.com/3xpst ]

Yes, the plant looked exactly like it.

Did it actually bloom all summer, or are the spring blossoms
persistent? We had a similar looking shrub at a summer house that
would sometimes retain a blossom or two through the summer.

You've got a good point. The early, budding, flowers were a very pale
green. They then opened, turned white, then stayed on the plant and
eventually turned pale green again. Those stayed on the plant until fall,
when they turned brown. In retrospect, that's probably why I thought it was
blooming all summer.

Do other folks who saw the same plant remember it the same way?

Yes - my sister-in-law.

Has your memory merged two of your favorite plants?
[memory is an odd thing & I'm always amazed at how we, with the best
of intentions, mis-remember things from our lives]

Jim

How right you are, Jim. I haven't merged two plants in my mind, but I
suppose my memory has played tricks. My pride has suffered, since I thought
it was infallible! G

Thanks so much for your help.

Dora