Old 02-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Sacha

Default Jersey Royal seed potatoes

Brian2/5/04 5:11

Iodine can be extracted from seaweeds. I understood that the burning of
seaweed was to reduce the volume for transport. None of the minerals should
have been destroyed. The bulk that was incinerated could be easily replaced
from peat or straw. This would have been an early attempt at fertilisers as
opposed to bulk manures.
By burning, the bulk is reduced to 1lb from 1 ton!!~~with loss of only
the carbohydrates.

snip

Very interesting, Brian and thank you. But it makes you wonder why Jersey
farmers didn't burn seaweed in situ 'time past' instead of carting it by the
ton, literally. Perhaps our tidal flow is too extreme to permit firepits on
the beaches!

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)