Old 02-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Rez

Default catapillers munching away in garden

In article , wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:53:16 GMT,
(Rez)
wrote:
I have had good luck against tomato hornworms using soap-based sprays,
with the side effect that the formerly-scruffy tomatoes went berserk
and grew HUGE, and made more tomatoes than we could possibly eat.
(Probably due to potassium salts in the soap)
What kind of soap, Rez? Those with scrawny tomatoes want to know!

Garden-Safe Insecticidal Soap by Schultz. Not only did it kill off the
hornworms, the formerly-scrawny tomatoes soon looked like they ate
passing children -- you almost didn't dare go in there with 'em

They got lots of water and heat (this being the SoCal desert), but no
one fertilized them or did another thing with 'em (the area had got
some horse manure the year before, but last year's tomatoes didn't
grow like these!) And our soil (using the word loosely, it's mostly
sand) tests almost nitrogen-free, and so alkaline [calcium salts] that
it's off the scale. Not exactly great garden dirt.

~REZ~