Old 02-05-2004, 09:06 PM
Lynne

Default HELP HELP HELP

I am totally new to Orchid growing and need some advice.

I was bought an Orchid last year from either Lowes or Home Depot. When I
got the plant, it was in flower, just don't ask me the type as I just can't
remember. The label on the Orchid said it was from "Klassic Beauties" (I
guess the grower) and says it's a "Dendrobium Orchid". The Orchid itself
is secured in the pot by what looks like three pieces of wood secured by a
metal bar. The roots are visible. There is no soil of any description in
the pot. There are four stems coming out from the pot.

When the flowers died, I left it in the bathroom by the window and
periodically watered it.

When recently watering it I noticed that between two pairs of leaves on one
stem there is a shoot. The shoot itself is now about an inch long (seems to
be growing daily) and there are four little roots coming from the bottom of
the shoot. The longest root is about half an inch and now actually appears
to be going into the leaf below it.

Another stem that has no leaves on it now has a small shoot about an inch
long with a small root at the bottom of it and I noticed that coming up from
the root mass at the bottom of the plant is another shoot.

Can anyone please give me some advice as to what I should do. Do I leave
the new shoots on there or do I take them off and if so at what size and how
should they be potted.

What should they be potted in ?

Any help would be much appreciated. TIA.