Old 02-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Brian

Default Jersey Royal seed potatoes

Scottish seed potatoes are world renowned. As Janet suggests a lot of care
is taken in their production during a relatively short growing season. The
cropping is nowhere near the 20 tons per acre possible in England.
They are also graded to be 'egg' size and sorted by hand to remove any
with the slightest damage. Their profit per acre is not that great.
Our industry could not survive without this Scottish contribution.
Best Wishes Brian. [ With a cold~~ my nose running and feet probably
smelling! Was born upside down?!!]
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from (George Bray) contains these words:

But why are seed potatoes so expensive?

And
how can anyone be so sure that they are more disease-free than spuds
bought in the shops?

Seed-potatoes are produced by registered growers and are certified
disease free. You pay more for a higher standard.

Janet.