Old 03-05-2004, 02:02 AM
escapee

Default BIG insects in my compost

On Sat, 1 May 2004 20:32:15 -0700, "culprit" opined:

"escapee" wrote in message
.. .
Those are perfectly normal and a sign your compost IS healthy. They are
rhinoceros beetle grubs. They are usually about the size of a human

thumb.

how can you tell what kind of beetle they're from just from that
description? most grubs look pretty similar to me in person, let alone in
text.

just curious...

-kelly

I don't know of any other grub which is as large as was described and it is a
very common grub found in healthy compost piles. So, I suppose I knew by
process of elimination of the smaller beetle grubs, commonly found also in
either compost piles (beneficial) or eating roots of turfgrass (not beneficial).