Old 03-05-2004, 02:07 AM

Default [IBC] Developing trunk taper in nursery stock

In a message dated 4/30/04 9:36:44 PM, GOPHERHILL writes:
What Alan says is cut to six inches or less the first year, the second year
cut off all but one inch of the new growth. * Each year you let the plant
grow unpruned and then just before bud break cut off all but one inch of new
grow. At the end of five years you have a 10 or 12 inch tree with lots of
taper.

Does the same process work in the North?
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will leave the tops on for now. In
the fall, I may have to shorten them so they will fit under a rose cone.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++