Old 03-05-2004, 03:05 AM
GR

Default Question about pinching-out

I have a cotinus that's nearly 2 years old, and which was getting very
leggy (as I believe the terminology runs), instead of becoming the
thick bushy screening plant I was hoping for. It had developed five
stems, the tallest reaching about six feet. I'd never pruned it, so I
cut everything back to about two feet high a couple of months ago, and
now it's budding vigorously again.

My question is, if I pinch out those buds, would it encourage the
plant to become bushy? And if so, how do you do it - do you just crush
the very tip of the bud? Do you have to wait until the bud has reached
a certain size, or can you do it as soon as you see that a bud is
forming?

Any advice gratefully received!