Old 03-05-2004, 07:03 AM

Default substates

"Carmine J. Ventura JR" wrote in message ...
Hello,

Looking for some input here. . . what is the BEST substrate I can put in my
60 gal planted tank ? I have 260 watts of light and am injecting CO2 via
cylinder. Also, where can I buy this substrate ?

Any advice is appreciated

Carmine

Onyx sand is my favorite. Flora base is also good and same would go
for MPV turface(Profile), Eco complete and MPV turface are light
weight, that's something I do NOT like about either.

MPV turface is cheap, about 8-12$ for 50lbs and is not packed in
water.

For a new person, there's no real difference as far as growth or one
being better than another, you'd be very hard pressed to show any
differences.
I suppose you could say rinsing gravel is a techy issue for a new
person, I'd say otherwiseIt's not that hard to add water, swirl,
repeat 3x, then add to a tank.

The main issues: asethetics, weight, cost, availability(not much issue
here in the USA)

Flourite/onyx tend to be cheaper of the heavier brands which make
replanting and keeping plants down easier, vacuuming etc. I've found
12.50$ to 14$ a bag.

I suggest 100% of whatever it is with exception to MPV, it's cheap and
the added weight of plain sand(2-3mm dia) will help.

Wash each type 3x in a bucket and add to a tank. you can pass this
step with Eco complete but you pay for water/shipping.
I've never had cloudiness issues with any of these brands with rinse
3x and add to tank. If you have, you've done something wrong. Like
filling to dumping the water in too fast etc. See other 2 added items
below also to improve this issue.

Also, add about 2-3 handfuls of ground(not whole loose)peat moss to
the bottom and then some mulm, roughly 2 wet liters worth. Mulm is the
"dirt" you vacuum up from an established tank.This is what an
estblished tank has that a new one does not.

This will cycle your substrate just like an old established tank and
help the tank off to a perfect start, the peat will help add some
reducing power initially then wear off after a month or two.

By then your tank will be going along fine.

Regards,
Tom Barr