Old 03-05-2004, 09:02 AM
JJ

Default Quiet(er) frogs

Anyone have experience with the relative loudness/quietness of Leopard
or Green Frogs compared to Bull Frogs? I hate to sound like a city
boy but they are just too loud at night. I really feel sorry for
those people in Hawaii who have the swarms of peeping frogs.

This web page had some info on various frogs.
http://www.herpnet.net/Iowa-Herpetology/amphibians.html

I've got some bull frogs that I got as tadpoles and I guess they are
all grown up now and looking to get it on what with all the croaking.
If they are croaking all the time does that mean there are no lady
frogs in the vicinity? Do sexual frustrated bull frogs croak more
than satisfied ones? I'm in a desert subdivision and there is no way
"wild" frogs could drop by for a booty call.

Anything out there that is quiet like say a Librarian Frog? It would
need to be able to survive just around freezing Winter temps (air and
water) and Summer peaks of high 80F water and 110F air.

I'm researching the frog thing and will probably get some from a
biological supply company. Might be cheaper but also more
reliable/accurate in terms of species than the local pond store.

Jay