Old 03-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Frogleg

Default Councils and allotments

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:31:58 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote

You should post this in uk.rec.gardening. USAsians don't have
allotments, more's the pity.

You have "community gardens" though, don't you? so educate me if you will,
how are they organised, who owns/allocates them? are they a municipal
function or a private matter?

As another poster writes, they are "diverse." Also few and
far-between. My 'community' plot was at a NASA facility, where a big
open field was kindly made available for gov't and contractor
employees. It wasn't part of NASA (or Federal gov't) policy/practice
-- just a local feature 'sponsored' by the Activities Association.
Similarly, the beekeepers club was allowed to keep hives in nearby
woods (and we gardeners were warned not to use Seven).

Community gardens are *not* a regular part of USAsian life. I note the
list of links Becca supplied has no entries for Virginia or many other
states. The Parks & Recreation dept. of one city here allowed the use
of a plot of ground for the first time last year. Unfortunately, it
had no fence or security and was totally vandalized within a couple of
months.

Europeans are lucky that allotments and similar are well-established
traditions.