Old 03-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Peter Crosland

Default small pice of land required

That of course, is up to you and fine for you. But I think what Janet and
were both trying to say is that ALL of us have some duty towards either

our
neighbours or even the people that care about us. I don't know if you

have
family or close friends but not being able to get in touch with someone

you
care about but live miles from can be v. frightening, even if it's only
because they don't want to answer the 'phone that day. And IMO, the more
isolated an area people live in, the more they might have to help others

or
depend on help from others. Nobody is asking you to give coffee mornings

or
join the whist drive, after all!
We have some elderly neighbours who couldn't do their shopping, get to
routine doctor's appointments or emergency ones without our assistance and
that of others. It doesn't mean we live in each others' pockets nor does

it
mean that we have a 'net curtain' mentality. It *does* mean that we

accept
that all human beings have *some* responsibility for all other human

beings.
But if you choose to refute or avoid that, there's no more to be said. As
you so rightly say, the choice is yours.

Very well said Sacha. In my experience true countrymen (And women before I
am accused of sexism!) always keep an eye open for their neighbours and
their neighbour's animals. To me that is the essence of living in the
country.