Old 03-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Frogleg

Default Indoor herb garden

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:14:10 -0400, "Phil Williamson"
wrote:

It's not that I'm ignoring all the comments about the herbs loving it
outside, it's just not possible for me to do that. I live in Canada where
it gets really cold outside in the winter, I have patio doors (no room
there) and a window in my bedroom (can't put a window box there either) and
that's it for lighting. My options are to grow these herbs under artifitial
light or to not grow them at all.

I'm a fanatic sunshine proponent, but people *do* report successfully
growing herbs indoors. It's certainly worth trying. If it doesn't work
out, I'll send you an African violet plant to fill in. :-) Thyme
might be one candidate -- it's low-growing anyhow, and perennial. You
could try chives. If basil or sage grew vigorously, they'd probably
outgrow space available in terms of tallness. Parsley is a
possibility. One problem I see is that if plants don't get enough
light, they get 'leggy' reaching for what's available. Which means
they'd soon be burnt reaching for a fluorescent.

Right now I'm working with a massively inconvenient arrangement in my
'computer pantry' involving a teacart. I needed a surface to rest a
book on, and the pantry is just crammed with barely-fitting equipment.
The cart blocks access to some things, but it *can* be wheeled out of
the way when necessary. Perhaps something like that could be employed
in front of your glass door? Hey -- if you have a door, it must lead
*somewhere*. Herbs in pots don't take up a lot of space. You could at
least give them a good dose of sunlight in the summer. Basil is an
annual anyhow -- you have to plant new each year. Parsely is a
biennial, but might just as well be an annual for all the use it is
the 2nd year (mine is just sending up bloom stalks).