Old 03-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Frogleg

Default Coriander

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:36:27 +0200, Emery Davis
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:59:39 +0100, Jack Ouzzi said:

] On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:43:39 +0100, Jonny
] wrote:
]
] I have lots of coriander grown in the greenhouse. It is now approx 5"
] tall. Something in the back of my mind tells me that if left in direct
] sunlight it will shoot. Am I right? If so, what should I do? I have
] []
] I posted a similar question a few seasons back, and yes direct
] sunlight does seem to effect this yummy herb. Also using the Cilantro
] variety (for leaf instead of seed growth) tends to stop bolting
] ................. so pot it and put the pots outside in a shady place
][]

I thought Cilantro was just another name for Coriander? In the US the
words are used interchangeably, I believe.

We pretty much use 'coriander' to mean the seed-used-as-spice, and
'cilantro' for the leaves-used-as...leaves. To me, when cilantro
bolts, it produces coriander seeds. I'm pretty happy with either
nomenclature. BTW, cilantro/coriander likes sun; it's heat that
makes it bolt.