Old 03-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Mike

Default Going rate

I should have thought of this earlier. We have a chap in the village who
does odd job type gardening so I've just rung him. He charges £10.00 per
hour. If he has to use his own lawn mower or hedge cutter he charges for
petrol. In this part of Devon £10 for that sort of work is high-ish but

if
the IoW is more prosperous, it's probably fair.
The chap who does our lawns (4 of differing sizes) is helped by his step
mother usually and it probably takes them a couple of hours. His last
invoice was £35.00. I doubt they split it down the middle because he
provides the machinery and does the heavier work. So working on these two
men and the fact that one has an assistant, I reckon that £10 or £12 is
probably fair.
However, literally as I was typing the above, David Poole wandered past

the
window and I've asked his advice on this. He reckons for someone with
machinery and experience £10 is about right - for e.g. a student around
£5.50 to £6.
--

No he is not a student but I think that following all of the advice given,
we will make it £10.00 min plus a cup of tea, or two or three :-))

And Ribena or Orange juice for the children if they come over as well ;-))

This is the couple, who a few months after moving in, had their house
flooded to above skirting board level. The children were paddling around in
their socks!!

(Long long long story, but it was the 4th time the pair of houses had been
flooded in the 16 years we have been here :-((

many thanks all

Mike

--
Royal Naval Reunion Eastbourne May 7th - 10th
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Reunion Bracklesham Bay May 21st - 24th