Old 03-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): suckers on or off the tomatos?

writes:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:40:10 GMT, "norma briggs"
wrote:

So I guess the correct answer is: It depends...lol
Thanks for the feedback.

I think this is the prevailing sentiment. One thing I've found about
suckers is that they root easily. I've broken off fairly vigorous
suckers in mid-season, rooted them, and actually gotten a second crop
of tomatoes. (There's usually a long growing season here.)

It certainly will work. A couple of years ago, a young person who
"helped" me one day in the garden, split one of my then-18"-tall tomato
plants in half. The planted portion, I left in the ground and watered it
extra much (yes, I know "extra much" is not really a word combog), the
other went into a bucket of water. Not only did it root, but when
planted, it provided a good crop. While it has been my intention to do
such a thing later in the season and plant the starts for a winter crop in
a protected area, I've not yet done it. Your post may inspire me to
actually do it this year. :-)

If I could be certain it would always work, perhaps I'd cut my plant
purchases in half. LOL

Glenna